Q & A FOR 2018-2019 DANCE SEASON
MARTELL TU (2 years – 4th Grade)
- Q. What is the Accelerated Program at Martell Tu?A. The Martell Tu Accelerated Track is for students with several years of dance experience at Martell School of Dance who have fulfilled the expectations necessary to move at an accelerated pace.
Our goal for the addition of this newly added track is to create a curriculum for students who are dedicated to their future in dance. This track is seen as a bridge to our Accelerated Levels at our Main studio. It allows our introductory and intermediate level students the time to learn in a fundamentally centered environment where we can focus on the importance of basic dance technique. This will better prepare all students for success in whatever path of dance they choose. It’s extremely important for our students and families to understand that to be invited into an Accelerated Track class does not mean that one dancer is “better” than the other. At Martell School of Dance, the success of EVERY student is our most important goal. We are a non-competitive studio intentionally, and encourage all students to challenge themselves on a personal level in each and every class. We will NEVER hold a student back if they are prepared for a new challenge.
- Q. What ages groups are eligible to participate in the Accelerated Track?A. 3rd and 4th Graders/by invitation, based on the recommendation of their instructor.
- Q. How will I know if my child has been invited to an Accelerated Track?A. We will be notifying parents of the invited students via e-mail by July 28th. If your dancer does not receive an invitation by that day, simply continue to register for their age appropriate class as you normally would.
- Q. Do I have to be in Ballet to participate in an Accelerated Class?A. Yes. You do not have to be enrolled in the Accelerated Ballet Class, specifically, but you will need to enroll in the age appropriate class.
- Q. Is it required for me to log in to the Parent Portal again and agree to new policies at registration?A. Absolutely. All the information you are agreeing to coincides with the Student & Family Handbook Read here. New agreement information will be added to the portal on August 1st, so please log in on or After August 1st to agree. The Emergency Medical form was recently e-mailed for you to print and complete in advance. This will save all of us time and make Registration run smoothly.
MARTELL MAIN (5th Grade and Up)
- Q. Who are invited to audition?A. Dancers in 5th and 6th grade moving to Main from Martell Tu, Dancers who were not previously enrolled in the Level I – IV program in Fall 2017-2018, and any New Student.
- Q. Is it ok if I do not audition? A. Yes! If you are just interested in dancing and are not concerned with being a part of a Level II or higher class, we will automatically place you in Level I to start.
- Q. What are the Audition Dates and Times?A. July 28th OR August 26th. Please refer to our website under “2018-2019 Season” for times.
- Q. Should I let you know what days and auditions my dancer will be present for or should we just show up?
- Q. Should I bring anything with me to the audition?A. No. Please dress appropriately and in accordance with our Dress Code.
- Q. Which styles of dance are available to audition for?A. Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Modern, and/or Lyrical – NOT Hip Hop, Acro, Musical Theatre, Clogging, or Fusion (those are age level and skill based classes)
- Q. Can I be placed higher than Level II after completion of the audition?A. Students will be placed in the level that we feel will best suits them for the dance season. We will never hold a dancer back if we feel they are prepared for a new challenge.
- Q. Will I know my placement on the day of the audition?A. No. We will need time to tabulate every person’s placement. You will be informed during the following week of placement.
- Q. If I was already in a Leveled Class last year, do I need to audition? How do I know what class to take?A. No, you do not need to audition. We are compiling Placement Forms based on Teacher recommendations. These forms will be e-mailed by July 28th and all the suggested classes will be listed. (All will be notified on the same day, please do not ask for earlier placement information). Placement forms will indicate a request for an audition if we are uncertain of the student’s abilities.
- Q. Is it required for me to log in to the Parent Portal again and agree to new policies at registration? A. Absolutely. All the information you are agreeing to coincides with the Student & Family Handbook (Read here). New agreement information will be added to the portal on August 1st, so please log in on or After August 1st to agree. This will save all of us time and make Registration run smoothly.